Saturday, April 17, 2004

Officer Timothy Hibbard - Gerald Landrum charged w/attempted murder of Hibbard.

Also See:

Officer Timothy Hibbard - Jackson PD - A family in crisis...

Officer Timothy Hibbard - Self-defense shooting of murderer Marshan Worthey [ August 08, 2008]

Officer Timothy Hibbard - Samuel M. Thomas convicted for dragging Officer Hibbard w/vehicle [August 15, 2002]

During his arrest in April 2004, Gerald Landrum tried to choke Officer Hibbard and grab his handgun.

Gerald Landrum was originally charged with attempted murder of Officer Timothy Hibbard.

Landrum was convicted in July 2004 of assault with intent to do great bodily harm against Officer Hibbard, and resisting and obstructing police causing injury. He is currently serving a 10 - 15 year prison sentence.
Landrum spent the first four years of his imprisonment filing numerous appeals, in an attempt to have his conviction for his attempt on the life of Officer Hibbard overturned. 

June 23, 2008

Gerald Landrum's Michigan Supreme Court appeal of his conviction under MCR 6.508[D] was denied.

November 16, 2007

Gerald Landrum's State appeal of his conviction under MCR 6.508[D] was denied.

April 28, 2006

Gerald Landrum's Michigan Supreme Court appeal of his conviction was denied.

December 22, 2005

Gerald Landrum's appeal of his conviction was denied.

Man gets 10 to 15 years after struggle with police
Jackson Citizen Patriot (MI)
Friday, August 6, 2004

A Jackson man who struggled with three city police officers during his arrest will spend 10 to 15 years in prison. 

"This is an assaultive individual who wants to put the blame on everyone else," Assistant Prosecutor Allison Bates said of Gerald Landrum. 

A jury last month acquitted Landrum of the most serious offense of attempting to murder an officer, but convicted him of four counts: assault with intent to do great bodily harm against Officer Timothy Hibbard ; resisting and obstructing police causing injury, and two counts of resisting and obstructing officers Ryan LePeak and Brent Craft. [Officer Brent Craft - DV arrest - Jackson PD -April 24, 2006 ]

Landrum, 31, was on parole for assault with intent to do great bodily harm when Hibbard attempted to arrest him in the 900 block of Williams Street on April 17. Police said Landrum was drunk and out past his 11 p.m. curfew. 

Hibbard said Landrum tried to choke him and grab his handgun in the struggle. All three police and Landrum scuffled on the ground before Landrum was subdued with pepper spray and some punches to the head. Landrum blamed the fight on Hibbard, who was not in court Thursday. 

" Timothy Hibbard tried to stretch the truth," Landrum said. "The entire sum of his injuries was a sore throat and bruised shoulder. It was not me causing injuries." 

"Grotesque," Bates said of Landrum's explanation. "He is the one who chose to fight." 

Landrum's criminal background includes second-degree criminal sexual conduct, possession of cocaine, open intoxicants, marijuana possession, loitering, attempted resisting and obstructing and assault. 

August 05, 2004

Gerald Landrum sentenced for assault on Officer Timothy Hibbard.

Man beats rap, faces time
Jackson Citizen Patriot (MI) 
Thursday, July 8, 2004 

Gerald Landrum is found guilty of lesser charges in melee with police officers. 

A man accused of attempting to kill a Jackson police officer and take his gun was acquitted Wednesday of those charges, but still faces up to 20 years in prison. 

A jury found Gerald Landrum guilty of a lesser count of assault with intent to cause great bodily harm less than murder to Officer Timothy Hibbard in his April 17 arrest. 

It also found him guilty of three counts of resisting and obstructing police and not guilty of attempting to disarm Hibbard and Officer Ryan LePeak. 

Hibbard, who testified that Landrum choked him during the melee, said he would have preferred a guilty verdict for attempted murder because he believes that was Landrum's intent. 

He noted the restraint he and Officers LePeak and Brent Craft used in subduing the drunken subject without guns or clubs. 

"He pushed it to a lethal point, where we would have been justified to use our weapons," said Hibbard, who has twice been assaulted by parolees in Jackson. 

Circuit Judge Edward Grant will sentence Landrum as a habitual offender Aug. 5. Landrum, 31, was on parole for assault with intent to cause great bodily harm when he broke parole conditions April 17. 

LePeak and Hibbard, on bicycle patrol at 1 a.m., approached Landrum in the 900 block of Williams Street after he got out of a van parked in the street. They learned he was on parole and had broken two conditions of drinking and staying out past 11 p.m. 

The officers said Landrum was jumpy and immediately resisted arrest. 

Hibbard testified Landrum choked him as the four struggled to the ground, and that he pulled two snaps on his holster in an attempt to pull his handgun. LePeak, too, said Landrum tried to get his gun from his holster. 

"I never choked Officer Hibbard," Landrum testified in his defense. "I never intended to hurt anyone. They just whooped my ass for no reason." 

He said he had just 50 days left on parole and would not have jeopardized it by fighting with police. 

Landrum said the officers punched him repeatedly in the head and emptied two canisters of mace in his face, causing temporary blindness. He said Hibbard's neck landed on his right arm and cut off the circulation, while LePeak and Craft worked at his left arm. 

"Why didn't you relax and go limp?" Assistant Prosecutor Allison Bates asked. 

"I never had time to relax," he said. "There were three of them and one of me." 

Several witnesses at the scene were subpoenaed to testify for Landrum, but they failed to show Wednesday, defense attorney Jerry Engle said. 

Officers detail 'lethal' situation
Jackson Citizen Patriot (MI)
Wednesday, July 7, 2004

Jurors expecting a "Cops" TV version of the April 17 arrest of Gerald Landrum saw instead a shadowy, distant image of a struggle on the pavement of Williams Street. 

Assistant Prosecutor Allison Bates on Tuesday showed the video recorded from a police patrol car, but will rely on testimony from three Jackson police officers - one of whom Landrum allegedly attempted to kill. 

"He got his right arm around my throat, his left arm going around my body," Officer Timothy Hibbard testified. "I could feel the jerking on my holster and gun." 

Hibbard and Officer Ryan LePeak were on bicycle patrol about 1 a.m. and approached a van parked in the 900 block of Williams in the middle of the street. 

Landrum, a passenger, had gotten out of the van and was attempting to get back in when police stopped him. He produced his ID and submitted to a preliminary breath test after officers suspected he had been drinking, a violation of his parole. 

LePeak said Landrum had a blood-alcohol level of 0.12 percent. 

A background check indicated the 31-year-old Jackson man had two Friend of the Court warrants for nonpayment of child support. 

He also had violated parole, staying out past 11 p.m. and drinking - normally a sure trip to jail. 

Officers said Landrum was agitated and would not stand still as they tried to form a triangle around him, with the assistance of Officer Brent Craft, who arrived in a car. 

"I said let's lock him down," LePeak testified. "I reached for his left hand and the fight was on." 

The audio/video system in Craft's car recorded the scene, but not in great detail because of darkness and distance, and the confusion of four men locked in struggle. 

LePeak and Hibbard said Landrum grabbed for their handguns, which were in "triple retention" holsters with button snaps over the top and behind the gun. A snapping motion required to remove the weapon is the third safeguard. 

Hibbard said Landrum had removed both snaps and applied a choke hold around his neck as the four tumbled to the ground. 

"Mace him!" an officer identified as Hibbard shouts in the police video. 

LePeak and Craft sprayed Landrum in the face with a combination of pepper spray and mace. He was unaffected, the officers said. 

Hibbard said Landrum loosened his grip on his right hand briefly, moved his left hand farther up the wrist and pulled even tighter.
"It was a lethal force situation," LePeak testified. 

Hibbard was face-down and unable to breathe or speak, he said.
Landrum and the other two officers were on top, grabbing for Landrum's arms and punching the back of his head. 

Unable to use a gun or club because of the danger to other officers, police struck Landrum with the palms of their hands, and then with fists. In less than 30 seconds, Craft and LePeak freed Hibbard, who then helped subdue Landrum before pulling to the side to swallow fresh air. 

Police said Landrum taunted them and called them names throughout the fight. 

"He said, 'You'd better lift some weights, bitch,'" Craft testified. 
"I remember him calling me a white bitch," Hibbard testified. 
Landrum is black, and the officers are white. 

Besides assault with intent to murder, Landrum is charged with two counts of attempting to disarm police; one count of resisting and obstructing police causing injury, and two counts of resisting and opposing. 

Hibbard rode his bike back to the station within minutes of the arrest and was treated for minor injuries later that morning at Foote Hospital. Just two years ago, Hibbard suffered head and neck injuries when a parole violator dragged him 200 feet after a routine traffic stop. 

Landrum's trial is expected to conclude today. He is defended by attorney Jerry Engle, who will argue Landrum was in no position to choke Hibbard, nor did he intend to, and that the entire "wrestling match" lasted longer.

April 17, 2004
Gerald Landrum was charged with attempted murder of Officer Timothy Hibbard. During his arrest, Landrum choked Officer Hibbard and attempted to wrestle the officer's gun out of its holster.

At the time of his arrest, Landrum had two Friend of the Court warrants for nonpayment of child support. 

Landrum was also on parole for assault with intent to cause great bodily harm. He was in violation of parole on April 17th for staying out past 11 p.m. and drinking. 

No comments: