Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Deputy Michael Harvey - Reprimand - Antrim SD

Also See:

Deputy Michael Harvey charged with domestic violence [May 13, 2006]:

On February 21, 2006, Deputy Michael Harvey got into a domestic argument with an employee of the prosecutor's office, in the Sheriff Department parking lot. The State Police were called to investigate a "domestic argument". Charges were not filed, but Deputy Harvey did receive a written warning for the incident.

Both the Prosecutor and the Sheriff believed that there was a ' personal relationship' between Harvey and the county employee. Due to that relationship, the Antrim Prosecutor had Deputy Harvey's criminal case reassigned to  Grand Traverse County.

GT to prosecute deputy
Case reassigned because of potential witness
Traverse City Record Eagle, MI
By craig mccool

BELLAIRE — Prosecution of an assault case against an Antrim County sheriff's deputy has been reassigned to a different county because the witness list could include another Antrim County employee with whom the defendant may have been personally involved, officials said.

Michael Harvey, 34, is accused of threatening his wife with his service handgun while on duty May 13 at the couple's home in Central Lake.

Antrim Prosecutor Charles Koop said he asked the felony assault case against Harvey be reassigned to Grand Traverse County because the witness list includes an employee in his office.

"I made the decision not because he (Harvey) was a county officer, but ... one of my employees might be a witness, Koop said.

The employee is Melissa Rogers, a clerical worker in the prosecutors office. Antrim Sheriff Terry Johnson said he thinks she and Harvey had a personal relationship.

Harvey was reprimanded after a Feb. 21 incident during which he and Rogers argued in the sheriff's department parking lot. Things got so heated that other sheriff's personnel called state police, who investigated, Johnson said.

State police in Kalkaska confirmed they responded to "a domestic argument" involving Harvey that evening at the Antrim dispatch center. Koop said the incident did not lead to charges.

Following the incident, Rogers was warned to stay away from Harvey during work hours unless there was something work-related to discuss, Koop said.

Johnson said Harvey had a "written warning" placed in his personnel file after the incident.

Harvey has been suspended without pay since his arrest.

He recently waived his right to a preliminary examination and was bound over on two counts of felonious assault, Antrim District Court officials said.

No comments: