Thursday, July 24, 2008

former Officer Antonio Barber - Flint PD

On July 24, 2008, during a domestic, former Flint police officer Antonio Barber held his girlfriend and her two young sons hostage. After releasing his hostages, Barber committed suicide.

Officer Antonio Barber suicide

Standoff ends, former police officer found dead

Police say investigation is ongoing
Friday, July 25, 2008 12:18 PM
ABC12 News

MUNDY TOWNSHIP (WJRT) -- (07/25/08)--What started as a normal day for dozens of residents at Maple Park Terrace apartments ended with a forced lockdown as police tried to negotiate with a possible barricaded gunman.

The situation started around 3 Thursday afternoon at the Maple Park Terrace apartment complex in Genesee County, just off of West Maple Avenue in Mundy Township.

Four buildings within the complex were evacuated.

It came to an end after 11 last night, when officers found the man inside dead.

Terry Barber has identified the man as his son, former Flint Police Officer Antonio Barber, 39.

"They did let me go over there and try to talk him out, but I felt it was too late then. He wouldn't, he wouldn't pick up the phone, but I did talk to him earlier, and he did call me several times on my cell phone, but I didn't have my phone. The officer had my phone," Barber said.

"The team went inside, checked, and found the suspect deceased. There were no shots fired by any of the officers on the scene," said Mundy Township Police Chief James Petres.

Police say the situation began as a domestic disturbance, and Barber was apparently holding his girlfriend and her two sons hostage inside the apartment.

At some point in the afternoon, the hostages were let go, unharmed.

Barber's father says his son loved being a police officer. He was let go from the department after being accused of stealing a video game during a drug raid.

The criminal charges were dropped, but Barber never rejoined the police department.

Barber's father says he blames Flint Mayor Don Williamson for his son's death, adding the mayor wouldn't let him back on the force.

The mayor says that's a lie. He says Barber was offered the same deal as was offered to others to come back to work, but he instead chose arbitration and lost.

He calls Barber's death a tragedy.

No comments: