Thursday, June 25, 2009

Deputy Jeremy Brickey Richardson - Acquitted - Clare SD

Also See:

Deputy Jeremy Brickey charged with domestic violence [Feb 04, 2009]

Former Clare deputy not guilty of domestic violence
By LaNia Coleman
June 25, 2009, 4:48PM

MOUNT PLEASANT -- An Isabella County jury has delivered a not-guilty verdict the trial of a former Clare County sheriff's deputy accused of domestic violence.

Jeremy B. Richardson had worked for the sheriff for about eight months when, Feb. 4, he was accused of assaulting his wife at their Nottawa Township home, records show.

The 31-year-old was relieved of his duties after Isabella County prosecutors authorized misdemeanor domestic violence charges against him, records show.

Former Clare deputy found innocent on assault charge
Published: Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:37 PM EDT
The Morning Sun
Clare Managing Editor

A former Clare County Sheriff's deputy was acquitted of a domestic violence charge Wednesday after a two-day trial.

A jury in Isabella County Trial Judge Mark Duthie's courtroom found Jeremy Brickey Richardson, 31, innocent of assaulting his wife, Ashley Richardson, in February.

Jurors deliberated for about an hour before delivering the verdict.

Richardson's attorney, Dan O'Neil, argued self defense and said he was pleased with the verdict.

"He may still have a career in law enforcement," O'Neil said.

Senior Assistant Prosecutor Stuart Black, who tried the case, said he is disappointed with the verdict and that jurors paid close attention during the trial, and "we accept their decision."

Richardson lost his job at the sheriff's department, where he worked for about eight months, after being arrested Feb. 4 for allegedly assaulting his wife.

He ended up back in the Isabella County Jail two days later, for allegedly violating a bond condition, Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said at the time of Richardson's second arrest on Feb. 6.

Richardson was alleged to have assaulted his wife Feb. 4.

Deputies were called to his home in the 2000 block of West Beal City Road in Nottawa Township at 7:48 p.m. Feb. 4.

When officers arrived, they noted that Richardson's wife had left the home after the alleged assault in the couples' bedroom.

She called for help from her parents' home.

After the initial arrest, Richardson posted bond and was released from jail but was arrested again after deputies were called back to the home Feb. 5.

Richardson broke a bond condition by returning to the home.

He had been ordered to stay away from his wife, the sheriff said at the time of the second arrest.

Domestic violence is a 93-day misdemeanor.

No comments: