Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chief Gary Bucholtz - Suicide - Bad Axe

Also See:
Chief Gary Bucholtz [Bad Axe] : Kidnapped ex-wife

Chief Gary Bucholtz [Bad Axe] : Murdered ex-wife

Chief Gary Bucholtz [Bad Axe] : Committed suicide after killing ex-wife http://michiganoidv.blogspot.com/2011/11/chief-gary-bucholtz-bad-axe-suicide.html

Mason police discover murder-suicide
Former police chief abducted his wife and put her in restraints in Port Hope
Written by Laura Misjak
Lansing State Journal
Dec. 4, 2011

MASON - The Huron County sheriff and Mason investigators say a former police chief abducted his estranged wife and secured her with restraints and drove her to a Mason motel, where he fatally shot her and himself.

Mason police found the bodies of Gary and Rhonda Bucholtz of Port Hope in a Mason motel while conducting a welfare check Nov. 29. Rhonda Bucholtz had several gunshots to the face and her estranged husband had a single shotgun would to his head.

Gary Bucholtz was police chief for about 10 years in Bad Axe, a city of 3,500 in Huron County in the Thumb region.

Huron County Sheriff Kelly Hanson said relatives contacted his department after the couple disappeared on Nov. 28.

A minivan belonging to the couple was parked outside the motel room where a man and woman were found shot to death, officials said.

Mason police last week ruled the deaths a murder- suicide, and in a prepared statement last Thursday revealed that a variety of restraints were used on Mrs. Bucholtz.

"We don't know for sure the time of death or why they were there," said Mason police Chief John Stressman. "We are still processing the evidence."

Family members reported that the couple had been having marital difficulties and they were concerned for their well-being, according to the sheriff's office.

On Nov. 29, Mason police contacted the Huron County sheriff's office, saying that the murder-suicide possibly involved the missing Huron County couple.

The couple checked into a room at Heb's Inn and Motel, on North Cedar Street near U.S. 127, at 3 a.m. Police were alerted after the couple had not left at the 11 a.m. checkout time, Stressman said.

At about 2:30 p.m., police were called to the motel for a welfare check, where they found the man and woman dead.

A cleaning person at the motel spoke to a man earlier in the day whom police believe was one of the deceased, Stressman said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

No comments: