Sunday, September 12, 2021

09122021 - OIDV: A Continuous Learning Experience About Perception Of OIDV Victims (SIGH)

 






I received a jury duty notice recently. No biggie. I filled out a form to be exempt from jury duty (OIDV Victim; LE/CJ experience; Work with DV/OIDV victims) = this bitch is prejudiced against the perp in a criminal case, from the word go.

Now, I have received jury duty notices several times - and each time I have requested to be exempt from jury duty, my request was accepted.

NOT THIS TIME! SHITE! 

Sam, being a typical male told me, "Relax, maybe you'll learn something from jury duty" - all the while my PTSD and anxiety was kicking into high gear.

Day of jury duty arrived and the judge read off the charges and case info: Defendant was charged with felonious assault less than murder and felony gun charges. My PTSD reaction: Oh hell no! A case with someone being held at gunpoint, like I was?. My CJ/LE reaction: Dude is guilty! Lunch break!

Of course with my luck, wouldn't you know it, I was one of the first potential jurors called. Judge asked if anyone would be biased in the case. I raised my hand. Judge asked me to explain and I stated that I was a victim of OIDV - that my ex boyfriend, a sheriff deputy took his loaded duty gun and held me at gunpoint. 

Before I could explain anything further, the judge cut me off: So what you're saying is that because a police officer held a gun to you, that you hate all police officers...and despite testimony given by police officers you would be prejudiced because you hate police officers...

The judge continued this attack on me "hating police officers and being biased against police officers" for what seemed like an eternity, while a sheriff deputy, a police officer and a prosecuting attorney stared me down, along with a packed courtroom of about 50 potential jurors.

When the judge finally wound down, I explained to him - while I looked directly at the offended police officer and prosecuting attorney - I did not say that. My life was saved by the Michigan State Police...because of what law enforcement did for me, I have dedicated the last twenty years of my life to working with victims of officer involved domestic violence. I am not biased against law enforcement. I'm biased against the perp.

Police officer and prosecuting attorney were just smiling at me, while the judge agreed that I would be biased (against the perp) and therefore he had to excuse me from jury duty.

I jumped out of that jury chair and as I exited the jury box, I smiled and looked directly in the judge's eyes and said, "Your honor, you have yourself a wonderful day." As I walked by the prosecutor's table, I noticed that the prosecuting attorney was doing everything to not burst out in laughter. Yeah dude, I'm a handful, eh.

Sam was right. I did learn something new that day. For years, I have been hated and verbally attacked by people because they believe that my pressing charges against Deputy Parker for his attempt on my life was wrong/crossing the blue line, etc. - or, despite my polygraph, they would accuse me of lying.

I learned that a judge who sits on criminal cases - in which many of them are likely domestic violence - does not view OIDV victims with the same dignity they view other crime victims. Instead, we're viewed in a biased manner. We are not survivors nor are we heroes for having survived a brutal attack - instead we are viewed in ugly terms such as haters of law enforcement. 

AND, I had to wonder, how many people view me and other OIDV victims in the same biased manner this judge does? COULD this be why OIDV victims are denied services, protections, and enforcement of laws - because they are assumed to hate police and thus are considered to be undeserving? 

Hmmm...











No comments: